Function keys are available on almost all modern laptops now. Using the Fn key, you can make quick changes, such as adjusting the display brightness, changing the volume, and muting the sound. However, in some circumstances, the function keys might not be working properly on your Windows 10 computer. In such cases, press the Fn + Esc keys to check the function key combination you are using. To troubleshoot the function key issue using detailed steps, continue reading this page.
Solution 1: Run the Hardware troubleshooter
- On your Windows 10 computer, click the Windows icon to open the Start menu.
- Click the Settings icon in the Start menu to go to Windows Settings.
- Alternatively, you can launch the Settings app by pressing the Windows + I shortcut keys.
- Click the Update & Security tab in the Settings window.
- Select the Troubleshoot option from the left-side panel.
- Locate and select the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.
- Click the Run the troubleshooter button and wait for the procedure to end.
- After running the hardware troubleshooter, check if the problem is resolved.
If the function key is not working on your Windows 10 computer, move on to the next solution.
Solution 2: Uninstall hotkey drivers
- Start by right-clicking the Windows icon at the bottom-left corner of your desktop.
- Click to open Device Manager from the Quick Access menu.
- Locate the hotkey driver in the Device Manager window.
- Right-click the hotkey driver and select the Uninstall option.
- Next, locate the HID-Compliant Keyboard and HID-Complaint Mouse drivers in the Device Manager window.
- Uninstall both HID-Complaint drivers and restart your computer to fix the Function key issue.
Solution 3: Enable the VAIO Event service
- To begin with, launch the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows + R shortcut keys.
- Type ‘services.msc’ in the Run dialog box and click OK to open the Windows Services.
- Locate the VAIO Event Service from the list of services.
- Give a double-click on the service to open the properties window.
- Check if the Startup type is set to Automatic.
- Also, check if the status of the VAIO Event service is running.
- Click OK –> Apply to save the changes.
- Close Windows Services, reboot your PC, and check if the issue is fixed.
In case the Function key is still not working on your Windows 10 computer, disable the filter keys option in the Control Panel.