System File Checker is one of the scan tools included in Windows OS to scan and check the corruption of the system files. You can use the ‘sfc /scannow’ command in the Command Prompt app to run the System File Checker utility. If the sfc /scannow command is not working on your Windows 10 computer, try these troubleshooting steps.
Solution 1: Run the SFC command in Safe Mode
- On your Windows 10 computer, open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows + R shortcut keys.
- Type ‘msconfig’ in the Run dialog box and click OK or hit the Enter key.
- In the System Configuration window, click the Boot tab and select the Safe boot checkbox below Boot options.
- Click OK to apply the changes and then restart your computer.
- If the System Configuration dialog box shows the restart message, click the Exit without restart button.
- Wait until your computer boots into safe mode.
- Launch the Command Prompt app and run the sfc /scannow command to check if the problem is resolved.
- If the problem persists, execute the next solution.